“I think you have to learn that there’s a company behind every stock, and that there’s only one real reason why stocks go up. Companies go from doing poorly to doing well or small companies grow to large companies.”
– Peter Lynch
Roha Emerging Champions Portfolio
An Emerging Champion, in equity investing, is a small or mid-cap company with the great character of the business, that shows consistent growth and one that over time will become a huge company.
How to foresee an Emerging Champion
#1 Catch the champions young:
Small & mid-cap companies make for the best emerging champions
- Early mover advantage
- Under researched leads to mispricing and attractive valuation for superior upside
- A wide spectrum of business as a choice for investing
- Higher business growth opportunity vs large companies
#2 The champion ticks all the right boxes:
- Size of opportunity
- Economics & profitability
- Operating leverage potential
- Pricing power
- Entry barriers
- Competitive advantage
- Cash flow generation vs working capital or asset-heavy
- Growth engine
- Understanding risk
#3 A champion aces the Roha Asset Managers test:
- Idea generation through the filter to screen a large universe of stocks based on stringent quality criteria like cash flows, growth, ROCE, profitability
- Primary research by interacting with management, distributors, channel partners, peer/competitive checks and customers
- Forensic study of accounting, balance sheet and financial numbers to avoid fraudulent companies with poor corporate governance standards
- Research report and final view based on team and investment committee debate & discussion, future business outlook, management capability and valuations
- Professional Management: The service provides professional management of portfolios with the objective of delivering consistent long-term performance while controlling risk.
- Continuous Monitoring: It is important to recognize that portfolios need to be constantly monitored and periodic changes made to optimize the results.
- Risk Control: A research team is responsible for establishing the client’s investment strategy
- Hassle-Free Operation: Portfolio Management Service provider gives the client a customized service, takes care of all the administrative aspects of the client’s portfolio with a periodic reporting on the overall status of the portfolio and performance.
- Transparency: PMS provides comprehensive communications and performance reporting. Investors will get regular statements and updates from the firm. Web-enabled access will ensure that client is just a click away from all information relating to his investment. Your account statements will give you a complete picture of your investment with us.
- Customized Advice: PMS gives select clients the benefit of tailor-made investment advice designed to achieve his financial objectives. It can be structured to automatically exclude investments you may own in another account or investments you would prefer not to own.
Scheme Name: Roha Emerging Champions Portfolio
Scheme Type: Open-Ended PMS
Investment Horizon: Medium to Long Term (3-5 Years)
For Whom: Investors who like to invest with a long-term wealth creation view
Asset Allocation of the Proposed Scheme* Equity Securities across small, mid and large market cap companies with long term potential – 100%
Scheme Overview: In order to provide long term capital appreciation, the Portfolio Manager will invest based on a set of well-established principles that emphasize the concept of sustainable earnings growth, cash flows and high returns on investment for selection of companies. In order to reduce the risk of volatility, the Scheme will diversify across major industries and economic sectors.
Roha Emerging Champions Portfolio: An open-ended portfolio scheme focused on mid and small-cap listed Indian companies. Diversified across sectors & companies poised to benefit from India’s multi-year structural growth theme. Laying quality stress on management, business, accounting & governance with specific emphasis on the margin of safety (valuations).
Benchmark: BSE 500
- Seek to create wealth over the long term by investing in the equity of sustainable growth businesses.
- Focus on the superior quality of business in terms of cash flow capability, capital efficiency, enduring competitive advantage, entry barriers and its ability to scale up to get the real benefit of the power of compounding.
Investment Universe: Investment across market cap and size agnostic through a specific focus on small and mid-cap stocks.
Why mid and small-caps?
- Early mover advantage
- Bottom-up stock selection approach
- Alpha opportunity with superior stock picking
- Emerging business in an innovative dynamic world not in large caps
- Higher growth opportunity vs large caps
- Under researched providing attractive valuations
- A wide spectrum of choice in investing
- Stock concentration risk – 20%
- Sector concentration risk – 25%
As per SEBI Portfolio Managers Regulation 2020, the minimum amount of investment is Rs 50 Lakhs
Suitable Time Frame
Mode of Inflow
Cash Inflow or Stock Transfer